Monday, November 24, 2008

What is love?

If that doesn't spur you into song, then I'm sorely disappointed in you.

That's the question, though, isn't it? I've been here, what, seventeen years? How do I know what love is? And I doesn't mean mushy gushy superficial attraction, I mean straight up true love. Learning the difference between love, and well... love, that's the hard part. I love my friends, but not that kind of love, dear goodness no. I don't support polygamy. That one special person, though, how do I know that what I feel is all that special? Is it the uncontrollable smile on my face? The fluttering of my heart? The sudden calm that overcomes me when he's around?

Learning the difference between love and love requires you to know yourself very, very well. Seventeen years isn't enough time to think about it in total, let alone intermittently.

I love days like this, when it's not raining but overcast outside. I love the rain, too, but only when I'm inside. When I'm outside, I like it overcast, with a cold humidity to the air. It makes the air... sweet, heavy, grounding.

Days like this are great in these times. It's like... a break from the world. Everyone's so... I dunno, uptight. I profess: I don't know everything, and I can't empathize with everyone. After all, I'm only applying to five schools, and I only have to do three applications. Aside from that, though... isn't everyone in the same or a really similar situation? Doesn't everyone have a bunch of homework, Beloved hanging over their heads like a nightmare, and senioritis creeping up like a bad cold?

Together we stand, divided we fall. Then... why does it feel like everyone's drifting so far apart? If we could, I don't know, look into each other's minds, feel what each of us feels together, wouldn't it be easier? None of us are Atlas. We can't bear the weight of the world on our shoulders. We are people. We are human. We need each other, so for goodness sake, let's fulfill our needs before we go sprinting to our wants.

Seriously.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aww... shame I did not break out into song and start doing the head-bobbing neck thing :[

"what is love? baby dont hurt me dont hurt me--"

ok im done. XD